Working together to improve global access to research

Conversations

OSI listserv

  • RSS OSI listserv

    • Maximizing the use of evidence February 21, 2018
      Hi all, How can we use evidence to improve programs and projects? An American Evaluation Association (AEA) survey found that more than two thirds of evaluation results do not get used. Simply reiterating our conclusions—only this time louder and more slowly—isn’t an effective strategy to get
    • RE: [scisip] Journal Prestige and Reliability February 21, 2018
      Hi Steve, Do you agree with the author’s conclusion (“there is no evidence that articles published in higher ranking journals are methodologically stronger”)? To me anyway, it isn’t supportable for two main reasons: 1. His study is based on impact factors, which are a notoriously inept
    • Fake 'Star Trek: Voyager' study gets published by scientific journal February 16, 2018
      Okay---I know we all take this stuff seriously, but as a Trekkie I’m kind of excited by this particular bit of fakery---I’d love to see the actual article! Here’s the video clip: Fake 'Star Trek: Voyager' study gets published by scientific journal, http://a.msn.com/09/en-us/BBJe3MG?ocid=se
    • Re: [HLIB-NW] PubMed Commons to be Discontinued February 12, 2018
      Ah, that's fascinating. Thank you, Steve. Much appreciated. On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 1:06 PM, Fiore, Steve wrote: > That comment has to do with the idiosyncratic way I learned about this > feature. Specifically, I found out about this commenting feature from some > scholars
    • Re: [HLIB-NW] PubMed Commons to be Discontinued February 12, 2018
      That comment has to do with the idiosyncratic way I learned about this feature. Specifically, I found out about this commenting feature from some scholars who were helping psychology address the "replication crisis". From what I recall, this PubMed feature was viewed as important as a kind of
    • Re: [HLIB-NW] PubMed Commons to be Discontinued February 12, 2018
      Steve, could you say more about that anticipated backlash? On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 12:46 PM, Fiore, Steve wrote: > To respond to Bryan's question, I suspect people did not participate for a > number of reasons - from a lack of awareness to a lack of incentives to > even
    • Re: [HLIB-NW] PubMed Commons to be Discontinued February 12, 2018
      To respond to Bryan's question, I suspect people did not participate for a number of reasons - from a lack of awareness to a lack of incentives to even concern about backlash. They need to do an assessment of why it did not work as expected. Even just a survey to all those who were […]
    • Re: [HLIB-NW] PubMed Commons to be Discontinued February 12, 2018
      Hi Alex: They’ve all been ported into Hypothesis: https://web.hypothes.is/blog/archiving-pmc-comments/ Pub Med Commons covered them all under a CC-BY license, allowing for reuse. Go FAIR! Maryann On Feb 12, 2018, at 9:40 AM, Alexander Garcia Castro wrote: what will
    • Re: FW: [HLIB-NW] PubMed Commons to be Discontinued February 12, 2018
      what will happen to all those annotations? On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 6:38 PM, Bryan Alexander wrote: > Interesting. I wonder why so many articles failed to elicit comments. > Did potential commentators just not know this was available? > Did the site make commenting
    • Re: FW: [HLIB-NW] PubMed Commons to be Discontinued February 12, 2018
      Interesting. I wonder why so many articles failed to elicit comments. Did potential commentators just not know this was available? Did the site make commenting difficult? On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 5:41 PM, Glenn Hampson wrote: > Of interest > > > > From: HLIB-NW

Stakeholder blogs

OSI on Twitter